Beautiful Eccentrics: Central Casting
16.09 – 19.11
On January 1, 2021 Pablo Helguera published The Pretenses of Failure, the very first column on his blog Beautiful Eccentrics.
Fast forward three years, more than a hundred columns and over 4000 weekly readers later, and Pablo Helguera has answered KIOSK’s invitation to stage a solo exhibition with Beautiful Eccentrics: Central Casting—a visually compelling three-dimensional translation of nine of his columns.
Helguera’s writing touches upon a variety of topics within the contemporary art world, such as art theft, the absence or presence of an audience, and the generic commercialization of artworks. Beautiful Eccentrics: Central Casting also functions as a playful discovery of the artist’s practice from his youth years to the present day. The nine selected texts at its base will be published as a collection of books available for purchase at KIOSK.
On October 5th, Pablo Helguera is giving a KASK Lecture, at 8 pm. The lecture will take place at Cirque Auditorium. KIOSK will remain open until 10 pm.
- Opening on Saturday 16.09.2023, 3.00-6.00 p.m.
- Daily open until 19.11.2023, between 12.00 and 6.00 p.m.
- Free entrance
- Louis Pasteurlaan 2, 9000 Ghent
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 21 - Guise and Dolls
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 24 - Give It Away
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 42 - The Small Inconveniences of Art Theft
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 46 - The One-Trick Pony Trap
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 47 - Tío Pancho, Art Teacher
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 55 - Boteros in the Cereal Section
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 57 - A Shoe Is a Shoe Is a Shoe Is a Shoe
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 59 - Label Intolerance
- Beautiful Eccentrics # 70 - The Persistence of Eponymity